The FSA has frequently warned of the dangers posed by rice.

Uncooked, it sometimes contains spores of bacteria that can cause food poisoning and, when it’s cooked, the spores can survive. If the rice is left standing at room temperature, the spores will multiply and may produce poisons that cause vomiting or diarrhoea.

The longer cooked rice is left at room temperature, the greater the risk.

Avoid the risk: “Ideally rice should be cooked and eaten straight away,” says Jo. “If you are going to be storing the cooked rice, cool it quickly and keep it in the fridge and eat it within 24 hours.”