I’m simple, I love to be easy going: Rumana Chowdhury
1. How would you relate past & present fashion trends?
– Earlier the fashion trend usually depended on own culture and values. At most, the trending world fashion. But now the initiatives are bolder. Now we experiment with different designs, cultures, trends, material. We now mix and match things to create a new trend.
2. How comfortable are you working hands with model & other designers?
– I am very much comfortable in working with models and other designers. For models, their comfort is my preference, just how I think of my customers. And in terms of other designers, I get inspiration from them. Professional competition is obvious but i respect their creativity and thoughts and vice versa.
3. How would you deal with an arrogant client?
– well, I’d just keep quiet and listen to them. As they say, “Customer is always right”
4. How would you describe your personal style?
– I’m simple. I love to be easy going. So i prefer anything and everything thats comfortable and comes in handy with me. Be that salwar suit or saree or western outfit, I emphasize on the occasion or event and dress myself accordingly, but in a way which is subtle yet elegant. I am not a “over-done” person.
5. Where do you see yourself in next ten years?
– At a stronger place with more success. This includes my outlet at the Duty free too.
6. What do you consider the important facts of the fashion industry?
– how do we cope up with world trends and how well do we carry ourselves, these are the moat important factors of fashion industry. By ourselves I don’t mean any individual. I mean our own trends. We have to adapt to the current affairs but at the same time can’t leave behind own own trends. And the individuals too are important, in terms of dedication, loyalty and commitment to own works.
7. What do you think about work ethics and what kind of ethics you believe in following while working with fashion?
– work ethic is very important. Be that in the fashion industry or any other sector. If you are not ethical to your work and responsibility, you can hardly attain any long term goal. When it comes to me, I have set my own values and commitments towards my industry. I am here to flourish my own business as well as contribute in the fashion industry. So even to develop my business, I’ll never let anyone else down. From design to distribution to promotion, everywhere i maintain clarity. Its not possible to please everyone, but i definitely try not to ever hurt anyone through my work or words or whatsoever.
8. What kind of softwares you use while designing, if no, then also be frank?
– I don’t use any software. I’m an old-school! I solely use sketches.
9. What skills according to you are necessary for a successful fashion designer?
– The ability to understand public demand; sync them with available resources, raw materials, current conditions (weather, occasion etc.) And merging them with a brand new design which will not only be a fashion product but also create a trend.