Celebrity Fashion Designer – Michael Lombard
Michael Lombard is a luxury fashion designer who has been sponsored by Monster Energy Drink on his fashion tours around the world. Michael Lombard signed with HarperPR – the style fashion house to Lady Gaga, Beyoncé, Nicki Minaj, Jennifer Lopez, and many other celebrities.
1. How would you describe your designs to someone who has never seen them?
Modern and edgy. My designs are the same as how I live my life.
2. What kind of statement do your pieces make?
Confidence – a larger-than-life statement.
3. You started out in the music industry as a record label executive before transitioning into the fashion industry. How does music inspire you creatively in your designs?
Because I do leather – my designs are more rock star status, so much definitely inspires my thought process.
4. What artist or band would be your dream to design for or collaborate with?
Wow. There are so many I would love to design for (and some I already have) but I would say Beyoncé.
5. What has been the biggest highlight of your career so far?
I’ve had so many it’s really hard to pick just one, but my Vogue and Forbes articles were big highlights to me.
6. What is your favorite piece that you’ve designed so far (photos please!), and what is so intriguing about it?
Once again – I have a few, but I have a fully studded crop jacket that I absolutely love. It’s the details in the stud pattern. It’s just a beautiful jacket.
7. How has the Michael Lombard brand incorporated inclusivity and diversity into the fashion realm?
I’ve always stood for diversity and inclusivity in whatever I’ve done. From models to manufacturing, I give everyone an opportunity.
8. In an article about Forbes about racism in the fashion industry, you made the statement: “With the killing of George Floyd, I’ve noticed a change. I see big brands, boutique brands all around the world coming together as one voice expressing outrage over social injustice kept silent.” What effects do you believe the guilty verdict of Derek Chauvin in the George Floyd trials will have in the fashion industry? Have you personally noticed any changes?
Well – I haven’t personally seen anything from the fashion industry yet, but I feel that we need more changes like more recognition for black designers across the board.
9. Your designs have graced the runways of over 30 international shows. Do you have a favorite city to display your collections?
I love them all. So far my favorite has been Cape Town, South Africa – but I have a show in Dubai in two months so you never know.
10. If you could give advice to a young designer just beginning their journey – what would you say?
Just follow your dreams and don’t listen to the naysayers.
11. What innovations do you incorporate into your leather that separates you from other designers?
Well – I always create shoulders that are innovative and over the top for leather. I love crazy shoulders sometimes.
12. What can we look forward to in 2021?
Expanding my brand, more collections in stores worldwide, big shows and dressing more celebrities.
13. Where can fans follow you?
They can follow me on Instagram @michaellombardofficial