MegManski: Each design is different in its own way
1. How would you describe your designs to someone who has never seen them?
Each design is different in its own way. They all have their own elegance and personality in each piece. Some designs are very versatile, you can wear them one way and then another to have a completely different look.
2. What are you most looking forward to for Paris City Fashion Week?
I look forward to showing my designs in both Paris and Milan and hopefully the world can see how each piece has its own personality. I also look forward to meeting other designers!
3. How can we follow your showcase for Paris City Fashion Week?
Anyone can follow me on Instagram @megmanski, my website megmanski.com, as well as, Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/megmanski/
4. Is there an exact moment you have of when you knew you were meant to be a designer?
I knew this was what I wanted to do when I owned my own dress shop in the Philippines. I had the foundation of knowing how to sew and design. After I moved to the USA, was married, and had my children, I was always involved with clothing, but not necessarily designing my own. I had made clothing for my children, bridesmaid and even wedding gowns, but never knew how to go about taking off with my own brand. Many years later my daughter got in touch with Tony Long, CEO of Fashion Bar in Chicago and within 6 months’ time, we had a designer name of MEGMANSKI, logo, website, Photoshoot, along with our first show. That was just the beginning of this for me.
5. What country are you based out of?
My home county is the Philippines, but I am based out of the United States currently. I do collaborate with the Philippines with the people that make my designs.
6. What has been the highlight of your career so far?
Going to Chicago to showcase my first collection was a huge deal. I am from a small town in Illinois and going to a big city was the start for me and have had so much positive feedback from that experience.
7. What is your favorite piece that you’ve designed so far (photo’s please!), and what is so intriguing about it?
This is one of my favorite designs, modeled by Anna Burmeister. As stated in a previous question, some of my designs are versatile. This dress has a detachable train and once removed it gives the dress a completely different look, yet they both looks are so gorgeous and elegant.
8. Is there a milestone you have to determine that you’ve made your wildest dreams come true? What is it?
I would love to see my designs on celebrities or even personally design something for them, as well as seeing my business continue to grow and be known and the whole world will know MEGMANSKI.
9. Where do you draw inspiration from?
I think of things that I like, and try to make them my own, along with adding some of my Philippine cultures with that design.
10. Who has been your favorite person to work with so far, and why?
This is a tough question. As I have started my design career, I have met some pretty amazing people from all the people in Chicago that have helped me along the way to showcase my first collection and all the models! They have all been so great and each one has something different to offer to the table.
11. If you could give advice to a young designer just beginning their journey – what would you say?
Keep trying and never give up! You never know what will happen. Not everyone has the same likes or dislikes when it comes to fashion and not everything you do everyone will love. There will always be someone out there that will love something you design.
12. How did you develop the talent of being able to look at someone and immediately knowing their measurements and size?
This takes lots of time and experience. When I first started designing and making clothes, I can’t say this was the case. After I worked with so many people, men, women, and even children, you get used to knowing what you are looking for when you are measuring with your eyes.
13. Do you have anything you are passionate about outside of fashion?
My Grandchildren! I love my grandchildren and spending time with them whenever I can.. I have 3 grandchildren, 2 boys Bradley and Benjamin, and 1 girl, Averie. They are the best!
14. What can we look forward to in 2021?
I am wanting to expand my brand and have it known worldwide! I look forward to creating more designs and make custom designs for anyone!